Friday, October 14, 2011

#6- For my students

One year ago, on September 7, 2010, I joined weight watchers.  That same day was also my first day at a new school, teaching music to students in grades 6-12.  I had been a substitute teacher for a year and a half.  While I valued that time because I learned a lot, my heart was aching for a school "home".  Going to the same building every day, at the same time, teaching the same students...I longed for stability.

When I received a job offer, I was ecstatic! I had been waiting for a full time position for so long, and I was thankful to be able to plan for what the next year would hold.  I began thinking about the person I wanted to start this new school year as.  I had a rare chance at a clean slate. 

I wondered about the students I would be teaching.  What would they be like?  Would they like me?  Would they like music?  How would they react to the changes I might make? 

I knew I wanted to be a person in their lives that they could respect; I wanted to be a good role model for them.  I knew that I couldn't continue to live my life as an inactive, heavy person.  I wanted to be a healthy, active, positive example for my students.

So, before I had even met them, I knew I had to change if I was going to be the person I wanted to be for my students.  September 7, 2010 was the beginning of that change. 

Over one year later, I look back, and I am so glad that I made that choice.  I can move the piano in my classroom around, I can run back and forth between the stage at school and my office, I can go up and down the stairs as many times as I need to in a day to track down students for lessons.  I am not hindered by my activity level.  I have the energy I need for my students because I am a healthier person.  I am constantly striving to maintain and improve my weight loss journey as well my abilities and strategies as a teacher.  My students were a driving motivation to make positive change in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment