Friday, October 7, 2011

#5- Health

The realization that I was not as healthy as I wanted to be came as I was walking into "real life".  Ryan and I had our first career-type-jobs after college, we had health insurance, a mortgage, a car payment.  We were investing in our future together and I wanted to enjoy that future.  I didn't like when I looked down the road and saw myself overweight.   Looking ahead to the possibility of starting a family changed my mindset.

I started paying attention to other women when I was out, looking at the moms with their kids.  I started to notice that most of those moms, were either super fit, or pretty overweight.  There wasn't a lot of in between.  One day, I thought, "Well, if I weigh 158 pounds now, and I gain 50 pounds when I'm pregnant...OH NO!"  I realized that there was a good chance I would tip the scales at over 200 pounds if I got pregnant!  (This was another one of those, "I have to do something about this" moments.)  Ryan and I had some time before we wanted to start a family, and I had to get healthy before we did.  The idea of a child being completely dependent on how I cared for myself in order for them to exist was a ridiculously scary responsibility.

Now that I am healthier, I am enjoying life more.  Ryan and I are having a lot of fun with it being "just us" for now.  We go to the gym, we walk downtown, we go to movies and have at least one official date every week.  I see a lot of families at the gym and I think, "that's what I want."  I want to raise a healthy, active family.  To be a good example, I had to get healthy first, and it feels awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment