Saturday, October 1, 2011

25 Reasons

Last week my weight watchers leader challenged our meeting group to create a list of 25 reasons why we "came through the door" to weight watchers or things that we were hoping to achieve by joining (in addition to, or in conjunction with, losing weight).  25 seemed like an awfully high number, but once I spent some time thinking it over, 25 came pretty easily.  So, over the next few days/weeks/months/however long it takes me, I will be posting this list.


#1- Confidence.
 
  After gaining 28 pounds in 3 years I had lost my confidence.  In high school, I participated in musical theater and school plays.  Right after high school and throughout college I was a tour guide in Hershey, PA.  These tours were a really fun acting, singing, chocolate eating extravaganza through Hershey.  Singing, dancing and acting in front of all those people required a lot of self-confidence.  While I wouldn't say I was brimming with hubris, I definitely wasn't a wall flower...but as I gained weight, I slowly began to retreat into myself.  I told myself that it was just because I was getting older and with maturity came a lifestyle that was more calm.  It was really easy to convince myself that shrinking into the background, covering up my body with large clothes, and trying not to be noticed was just part of "growing up".
Getting ready for a Trolley Tour
My friend, Tia, and I as the Jester and Minstrel in our high school production of "Once Upon a Mattress"

I can honestly say that after a year of attending weight watchers meetings, learning how to exercise in ways that I enjoy and watching the weight come off over time, I feel more like my "on stage" self; the girl who wasn't so afraid of what people thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment