Tuesday, December 13, 2011

#11- Relationships

So...I was so excited about #12 that I skipped right past #11-Relationships.

Many of the items on this list have already touched on the important relationships in my life:

I wanted to lose weight because of my relationship with my family.  I joined weight watchers with my mom and it has really encouraged a new-found health and balance in the lives of my family.

I wanted to lose weight because of my relationship with Ryan.  I had started to feel so bad about myself (my appearance, my weight, my lack of self-control) that it was effecting my marriage.  Losing weight and exercising gave me a new-found sense of accomplishment and empowerment.

I wanted to lose weight because I wanted to be a good and healthy role model for my students.  I was never an athlete, but I wanted to show my students that they can still live healthy, active lives even after high school sports end.  Or, if they are music geeks like me, they can still find ways to exercise that are fun for them.  So, I tell my students that I go to the gym; that I go to Jazzercise and Zumba and Bodystep.  I never had a role model telling me that it was good to exercise!

When I was overweight, every relationship I had was negatively effected because of how bad I felt about myself. I joined weight watchers because I wanted to have positive relationships with those I cared about.

No comments:

Post a Comment